Owned and operated by Alaska Wildland Adventures, Weather Permitting is a lodge transportation and water taxi operation with three boats. Weather Permitting is located in Seward, the jumping off point for exploring Kenai Fjords National Park. Opportunities for sea kayaking, marine wildlife viewing, camping and hiking are everywhere.
Weather Permitting’s main function is to support Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge by bringing guests to and from the lodge by boat, and supplying all the items necessary to run a remote lodge. Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge is a two-four hour boat ride through the park, passing glaciers, mountains and abundant wildlife. We also provide water taxi services to the local kayak companies for their day trips into the park.
The positions available include working on the boats as a deckhand or Captain (licensing needed), port mechanic and office support staff. Staff housing in Seward is limited so an independent living situation may be required.
Our facility is located in the small community of Seward, Alaska. We ask that staff members respect the community and use discretion when attending public venues in the town, whether it is the library, grocery store, a softball game or local restaurants and bars. As a representative of Alaska Wildland Adventures, be considerate and courteous to the community, both on and off duty.
We strongly encourage staff to explore and take advantage of the numerous recreational opportunities that abound in the local area. Quality days off are needed to maintain the busy pace of our operations. Staff must be self-motivated to get out and appreciate the surrounding landscape, and learn what the Kenai Peninsula has to offer. The scenic natural beauty and grandeur of Alaska is a primary attraction for all of our staff, and we ask that our employees respect and care for this natural resource to benefit future generations.
The success of Alaska Wildland Adventures depends on the actions of our high quality staff. We ask all staff to use tact, respect and common sense during all interactions with the community of Seward, other staff members and the surrounding landscape. Staff members’ ability to co-exist harmoniously with other staff is as important as delivering top quality service to our clientele.
Learn more about Weather Permitting here.
- Subsidized housing may be available in one of our Seward Houses. The rate is $300 a month for a single room.
- One free 2-day visit to one of our backcountry lodges, once a summer, depending on space available. Either…
- Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, which is nestled in the heart of Kenai Fjords National Park and includes a 3.5 hour whale watching and tidewater glacier cruise from Seward to the Glacier Lodge and back, or
- Kenai Backcountry Lodge, accessible only by boat by either by rafting down the Kenai River or taking our passenger vessel across Skilak Lake.
- Discounts on AWA trips and lodging for friends and family.
- Free passage on our vessels for up to 4 of your friends or family.
- Lots of staff social events and adventure partners (hiking, biking, fishing, boating, seeing live music, etc.).
- Performance-based bonuses and employee profit-sharing, when applicable.
- Guest tips split fairly among staff.