Weather Permitting - Seward
Weather Permitting Captain:
- Previous experience with boats of this nature. Diesel engine experience a huge plus.
- Previous experience in operation of vessels in inclement weather and seas. Alaska experience a plus.
- Excellent customer service and natural history interpretation skills.
- Communication skills with both guests and employees.
- Housing and food not provided, so ideally already a Seward resident or willing to find housing independently.
- Ability to be flexible with daily schedule.
- First Aid/CPR or higher medical training.
- Pre-employment drug screen as well as participating in a random drug screen program during time of employment.
- Must possess at least a 50 ton Near Coastal USCG license.
- Maintaining a clean and organized vessel.
- Greet guests and orient guests to the vessel.
- Perform Safety Speech required by USCG.
- Brief guest about Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge.
- Be attentive to guests needs.
- Be familiar and able to maintain vessel engine and other mechanics of vessel.
- Assist in vessel maintenance throughout the operating season.
- Be familiar with USCG regulations and be able to adhere to them.
Weather Permitting Operations Manager
The Operations Manager will coordinate all aspects of Weather Permitting, a three boat water taxi and logistics company serving Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge. This position will typically work a 40-hour week but must be flexible to work more especially during the training period of May and early June. This dynamic position requires experience in staff leadership and supervision, program logistics and scheduling, a basic knowledge of boat operation and maintenance.
Deckhand Naturalist Position
The Deckhand/ Naturalist position will not only assist boat Captains with running vessels each day but also perform high quality customer service and natural history interpretation for guests.
MV Weather or Knot-40 ft jet propelled catamaran landing craft. Mainly used as a water taxi for sea kayakers on guided or independent trips to Aialik Bay while providing guided tour along the way.
MV Wildlander-50 ft jet propelled catamaran landing craft mainly used as tour vessel taking guests to the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge located in Aialik Bay.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist Captain with daily maintenance of vessel such as engine checks
- Competence in all emergency systems and procedures
- Handling lines and assisting in docking procedures as well as operating hydraulic landing craft bow gate
- Loading and securing kayaks, gear, luggage and supplies for lodge
- Assist in fueling up vessel
- Occasional assistance with larger maintenance projects such as oil changes and other regular engine upkeep (depending on experience).
Naturalist/Customer Service Responsibilities
- Maintaining a clean and organized vessel including a well stocked beverage bar
- Greet guests and Assist Captain with orienting guests to the vessel
- Perform Safety Speech required by USCG
- Assist Captain in providing ongoing, in depth natural history interpretation during trip- In the case of the Wildlander, this is done using a PA system
- Brief guest about the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge
- Be attentive to guests needs
- Clean vessel at end to day
- Assisting general operation of company around Seward- this may include
- Helping office staff with guests, food orders or supplies for lodge
- Occasionally taking garbage/recycling to dump
Previous experience with boats of this nature. Diesel engine experience a huge plus.
Excellent customer service and natural history interpretation skills.
Communication skills with both guests and employees.
Housing and food not provided, so ideally already a Seward resident or willing to find housing independently.
Ability to be flexible with daily schedule
First Aid/ CPR or higher medical training
Pre-employment drug screen as well as participating in a random drug screen program during time of employment
This position involves taking bookings for our water taxis, facilitating guest departure and arrivals from Seward Harbor, minor accounting, and receiving our remote lodge food deliveries and facilitating shipment. Additional responsibilities include recycling and dump runs and concise email communication. Candidates should possess high organizational skills, ability to multi task, ability to lift 50lbs, strong customer service skills and a positive can do attitude.
The Office Coordinator will assist Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge in sales, guest check-ins, transportation and assistance for the Weather Permitting water taxi business. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to taking phone reservations for Water Taxi and 72 hour special KFGL bookings as well as answering basic questions about Water Taxi and KFGL.
- Meet and greet guests; they will check in at office. Label luggage with tags with cabin number; shuttle them and luggage to boat as needed.
- Greet boat on return; receive backhaul and sort/transport it to appropriate facility (garbage to dumpster, recycling, etc.)
- Check in food and supplies, sometimes re-pack for boats
- Help load boats.
- Other chores as needed: filling propane tanks
- Help make arrangements for guests in case of weather delays, including possible guiding of Seward adventure.
- Serve as Deck Hand from time to time
- Help clean boats from time to time (this is generally contracted)
Familiarity with AWA programs or similar experience in ecotourism, and Alaska experience preferred.
Excellent organizational skills, detail orientated, self-motivation, and self-management
Communication skills with both guests and employees, excellent at customer service
Housing and food not provided, so ideally already a Seward resident
Competent with computers (familiarity with WordPerfect, Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Google Calendar, e-mail, and Excel programs).
- Have the ability to lift heavy loads (up to 75 pounds).