This is why we fish the Kenai:
- It’s not unusual to share the shore with a bear, especially during the sockeye salmon run. They are there for the same reason as some of you: to stock up the freezer before winter rolls in.
- The world record sport fishing salmon was caught on the Kenai River in 1985 at just over 97 pounds – a king salmon.
- The color of the river that you see on Google images is actually accurate. The Kenai River is this shade of turquoise due to the glacial silt in the water.
- Harbor Seals can be seen on the Kenai River and have even been known to travel as far up as Skilak Lake (nearly 50 river miles from the Cook Inlet)!
- President Carter and his wife have fished the Kenai River. They even chose us at Kenai Riverside Fishing to guide them!