At Alaska Wildland Adventures, our core purpose is to provide for our guests the highest quality, small-group, interactive experience with wild Alaska without compromising - or overemphasizing - comfort. Further, our goal is to do it in a manner that involves a spirited interpretation of the natural world and a constant care and concern for the environment.
Behind the scenes in our business world, we seek an enthusiastic approach to new challenges, keenly value a mutual respect among staff, and promote a family-like atmosphere; we also aim to seriously enjoy our work and share the rewards of a well-run business.
The following principles guide the operation of our business and our activities in the areas we visit:
Reduction of Environmental Impacts
- Leave all program and operation areas as pristine as we found them. Leave no trace of our passing except for footprints.
- Remove all of our garbage, including human wastes when wilderness camping, and if possible, clean up messes left by others.
- Reduce our impact in terms of energy consumption and material usage whenever possible, in all operations and administrative locations.
- Consciously make purchases of goods with forethought to pre-cycling as well as re-using and recycling, whenever possible.
- Voluntarily limit or decrease the use of any area if our activities are degrading the environment.
- Disperse our impact on the wildlands of Alaska so the use of the areas we visit can be sustainable.
- Identify the areas we do impact and work to mitigate and prevent further degradation.
- Be a contributor to the conservation of the regions we visit.
- Approach all wildlife in such a manner that our presence does not disturb them or change their behavior. This will sometimes require observing animals from a distance even though the opportunity exists to get closer.
- Avoid critical habitat areas, such as nesting areas, that are particularly important to wildlife survival.
Guest Information and Education
- Distribute these guidelines to our guests in advance of their visit.
- Prepare travelers to minimize their negative impacts while visiting sensitive environments.
- Impart natural history information during our trips to enhance appreciation and understanding of wild Alaska to our guests.
- Aim to present all sides of environmental issues of the areas affected by our visits so that our guests fully understand the issues, choices and challenges that we face in protecting wild areas.
- Promote awareness with others and share information and environmental practices with the community in which we live, and with the agencies with which we work.
- Approach our business with the idea of sustainability so that decisions made today will not result in depriving following generations of a quality environment.
- Be upfront, forthright and honest in all business dealings, including interactions with guests, staff, other businesses and the land agencies for which we are permitted.
- Model and describe ideas, techniques and systems so that other businesses may follow in the pursuit of sustainable tourism and a socially responsible business.
- Contribute a voice in the communities in which we operate and within organizations to which we belong, to guide Alaska tourism toward sustainability and appropriate use of resources so that we may protect the wilderness of Alaska for future generations.
- Contribute a minimum of 10% of our pre-tax earnings to conservation organizations and causes.